Freddy Bertrand was a Swiss photographer who was born in Geneva in 1906 and grew up in Paris and Corsica. He studied horticulture in Antibes but became a photographer after settling in Paris in the early 1930s. He worked for the newspaper l'Intransigeant before setting up independently. In 1941 he returned to Switzerland, settling in Geneva, where he continued to work as a freelancer, collaborating with many Swiss and international newspapers. In 1958 he documented Freda Feldman and Max Braude’s visit to Dr Syngalowski's grave in Geneva [see image].
Freddy Bertrand died in Geneva in 1984. His studio collection is kept at the Iconography Center of the Library of Geneva.