ORT’s activities in Czechoslovakia began in April 1947 to address the needs of Jewish refugees from Poland, Hungary, Romania and Russia, who were temporarily settled in Moravia. Student numbers fluctuated as once their applications for emigration were successful, students departed. This sudden departure of entire groups often reduced the total number of ORT pupils by half. Some vocational courses, such as those at Karlovy-Vary, had to be closed before their normal conclusion.The programme closed in July 1949.
During ORT’s two years of existence in the country, 32 vocational courses and training workshops were installed and 649 students attended classes.
ORT returned to the Czech Republic in 1996, establishing a computer laboratory in partnership with the Education and Culture Centre of Prague.